The Murano Glass Museum (Museo del Vetro in Italian) is a museum on the history of glass, including the world-famous Murano glass and is situated on the island of Murano, just north of Venice. The museum is set within the Gothic-style Palazzo Giustinian, once the residence of the bishops of Torcello. In 1659 it became the residence of Bishop Marco Giustinian who later purchased the property and donated it to the Torcello diocese. Today the museum is part of the Venice Civic Museums network.
The museum’s collection, one of the most complete in the world and laid out chronologically on the first floor of the museum, includes works dating from the Roman Empire to the present day. Visitors may view many noteworthy pieces including creations by the Barovier & Toso glass company and glass textiles designed by Carlo Scarpa in the late 1930s.
Except for occasional purchases, even today additions are made to the museum’s collection thanks to donations by the island’s glassworks which enrich the impressive collection.