Good To KnowOpen also Mondays
SpecialisationBizantine, Gothic and Renaissance Venetian art
TipAdmissions are restricted to 300 people at a time
The Gallerie dell’Accademia (Accademia Galleries) in Venice is one of the great museums of the world and has one of the finest collections of Venetian art. The museum is situated on the south side of the Grand Canal, in the Sestiere Dorsoduro district, at the foot of the Accademia Bridge. It is housed in the former Santa Maria della Carità church and convent complex, partly built by Italian Renaissance architect, Andrea Palladio.
The Gallerie dell’Accademia was originally part of the art school (Accademia di Belle Arti di Venezia), founded in 1750 by the Rococo painter Giovanni Battista Piazzetta and was one of the first institutions to study art restoration. The original collection of paintings was brought together in 1807 and opened to the public ten years later.
Spread out over 24 rooms, the gallery hosts an outstanding collection of Venetian paintings dating from the 14th to the 18th centuries. The collection includes works by Bellini, Carpaccio, Canaletto, Veronese, Tintoretto, Tiziano, Tiepolo, Titian, and Veronese.